Saturday, July 5, 2008

Staycation Day 2 & 3

Oops! I forgot to include links to the websites of the Planetarium and Children's Museum. Let's fix that now.

The Staycation report continues...

We took things easier the rest of our Staycation. On Day 2 we spent 4 hours at This is the Place Heritage Park. (Note the link to their website. And I laughed hard because on their home page they talk about staycations.) It is a village from the second half of the 1800's, incorporating Utah history with employees and volunteers in period costume and authentic, actual historic buildings that have been transported to the Park (way cool!)

Your entrance fee comes with 3 crafts you can do, and there is a cafe and a general store where you can buy things--but you first have to go to the bank and exchange your modern currency for Deseret Dollars. We were bummed that they ran out of ice cream at the ice cream parlor. It was a hot day, I guess.

We rode the "train" around the park to get the lay of the land.

And stopped in the barber shop for a quick shave.

Senea didn't want to be left out, even though we hope regular face shaving is not in her future...

The kids also had their silhouettes drawn, with this contraption that has a pencil on one end that will draw the outline you trace with the other. I hadn't seen this before.

We learned all sorts of things, but my favorite stop was the cabin where the kids got to try their hand at chores Pioneer style. Even the youngest children had jobs to do.

We also tested out some games. Even mom & dad tried it out.
*Stilts are way harder than they look, btw.*

The kids did some lessons in the school house. Unfortunately, Brennan forgot to do his homework.

We have way more pictures than I can even share. It was very informative and lots of fun. We ran out of time to do everything. I would really have liked to put the kids to work churning butter, but I'm sure we'll go back in a few years.

You would think after seeing how life used to be, the kids wouldn't complain so much about chores, right? Nope. Oh Well.

Day 3
We went hiking to Battlecreek Falls. It was a ton of fun and I can see many more hikes in our future.
The view from inside the canyon.
At the top of the bigger waterfall.
At the bottom.
One of the smaller waterfalls.

Then we went and saw Speed Racer. It was pretty good, but a little ... odd. Interesting cinematography and a little long for Senea, but the boys LOVED IT! I wasn't as thrilled with kids (not mine) throwing popcorn at me, but at least I didn't start a food fight. Pat on the back for me.

If I had to pick one word for the movie, it would be: COLORFUL. Very.

3 comments:

Tavia said...

I love the "staycation" idea. I will have to remember that in the future. Looks like you had a lot of fun. It's a good reminder that we don't always have to go very far if we just enjoy what's around us. I always love to go to Battle Creek Falls!

Stephanie said...

This looks like so much fun. I can't remember the last time I went to the children's musuem. . .maybe when I only had 2 kids!! You have definately inspired me to have a "staycation". Just as soon as life settles a bit we are going. Thanks for the great tips.

Natalie Rose said...

That is the right idea! Looks like you guys are having so much fun doing things right in our backyard. Keep having a great time! I'm loving all the idea's you are giving me for our "staycation".