Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Thelers go for fitness

No longer blessed with the bodies of our teenage years (or even of our twenties), Jason and I are working on being fit and healthy.

I've been working out on a fairly regular basis for a year and a half now, and I guess I'm catching, because Jason has started running and swimming to get into shape. He always enjoyed playing sports, but a handful of injuries the last couple of years (a separated shoulder and really bad ankle sprain) derailed him until recently.


So, just to share, here are some fitness happenings in our lives.

*I ran the Steel Days 5K on Saturday (I missed some of you! Maybe next time). My goal was to beat my time from the last race and I am ecstatic that I demolished it by 4 minutes! Yippee!! My new playlist helped motivate me to run faster - thank you Evanescence, Muse, and Backstreet Boys. I know, quite the combo. Shockingly enough, I even placed 6th in my age group.

*Jason and I are both running a 5K for the school district this Monday. He's worried about keeping up with me, and I just know he runs faster than me. So we will probably both have a record run because we'll come short of killing ourselves trying to keep up with the other who is pushing hard to keep up with the first. You know, one of those vicious cycle things.

*In a fit of insanity, I let a friend talk me into signing up for my first triathlon next month. I alternate between excitement and smacking my face and asking myself what I was thinking. The smacking moments usually occur at about 5:30 in the morning as I am standing on the side of the pool, trying to make myself get in and swim laps. I mean, it's still dark. And the water is *cold*. Swimming is not my thing, but at least I can go the distance without totally collapsing on the cement afterwards now.

Here are the details:
Date: Saturday, August 23
What I have to do: Swim 400 meters (1/4 mile), bike 10 miles, run 5K (3.1 miles)

I can do that, right? Anyone else want to join me?

I just like this picture because it's fitness-ish & looks really cool.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

You are awesome! You will do so well in the triathalon. I wish I could have done the Steel Days Run, maybe next year. Good Luck!