Friday, August 15, 2008

8 Days and counting

Eight days. That's all I have. Then it's D-Day, or maybe I should say T-Day. Triathlon Day.
I have been training consistently. There's been ups and downs--days I felt like maybe I could do this (in an acceptable manner. I know I can walk the run if it comes down to it), and days I was almost in tears because I could barely make it through training that day. Since I have a penchant for lists, here's a list of things I've learned through this experience so far:

* Yes, you can bruise your butt bones so bad on a stationary bike seat that it is hard to sit for 2 days.
* When you run after biking, your legs don't quite work right for at least 1/2 mile.
* Swimming is freakin' hard. Michael Phelps, you are the bomb!
* The right running shoes can make all the difference.
* I now know what "bonking" is and it stinks bad. Click here for a definition.
* When you work out for 90 minutes a day, you have to eat more than I normally do. Have to, have to, have to.
* When doing the elementary backstroke, occasionally look to see where the wall is so you don't whack your head so hard you go underwater where it is not easy to scream in pain.
* Cycling shorts are a must, because parts of you stick to the bike seat you really don't want to stick when you wear running shorts.
* You cannot exercise well to Josh Groban music. Evanescence--yes. Muse--yes. Backstreet Boys--some songs (not the whiny ballads, gag me). Linkin Park--definitely.
* It is unreal how stubborn socks can be when you try to put them over dripping feet.
* Unfortunately, now I can at least marginally understand why triathletes just pee as they bike/run. Doesn't mean I'll do it, but I can understand the temptation.
* Sugar is evil. The fru-its of the dev-il. It makes you feel horrible for the whole day. No cookie is worth it because the calories give you nothing to run on.
* Getting in the pool at 5 a.m. is one of the hardest tests of will power.
* You can hate training and be excited for the race at the same time.
* Biking while soaking wet is really not as horrible as it sounds. You dry off fairly quickly.
* Goggles. Use them.
* My favorite time of day is around dawn.
* Exercise is addictive.

Look for my results blog after T-Day. Go do something awesome!!!

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Good Luck! You are awesome! Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Jenn said...

Go Iron Jaime! Go!

our amazing voyage said...

Good luck Jaime. I'm glad you are going for it. By the way, I love your list.