Saturday, August 9, 2008

Deep in the dark

That sounds like a cool book title, doesn't it? Last week we dragged the kids to Timpanogos Cave, which is only a few minutes from our house, but we've never gone there as a family. Jason has gone with school field trips and I know I went once when I was 8 or so, but I don't know if that counts.

To get to the cave you have to hike a strenuous 1 1/2 mile paved trail which rises 1065 feet (and if that sounds like a snippet from a tour guide, why yes, it is).

Here we are near the beginning of the hike.

There were awesome views on the way.


And here are the kids close to the top. "Are we there yet?"

Inside the cave we broke out our sweatshirts, despite the 90+ degree weather,
because in the cave it stays 45 degrees year-round.

Our guide told us these little curly-q things are really rare. Something like 4 other caves in the world has just a few of them. Timpanogos Cave has thousands.

The "Heart of Timpanogos"

Eww. It looks a little like snot. (Can you tell I have boys?)


The whole thing was a lot of fun and very informative. The part Jason probably liked the most was when our guide told us about the Cave Touring you could do off the regular route. For a small fee, a group of 4 can get in spelunking gear and go climbing around through more caves and even see an underground lake. I could just see him thinking "Guy activity" with his brothers. Hey, can I tag along too? You can find out more about it at the Timpanogos Cave website.

The only sad thing was the death of my sunglasses. A moment of silence to mourn their passing...

2 comments:

Danica/Dream said...

How fun! Maybe we'll get down there sometime and see it.

Nolan & Donna said...

Hahahahahaha!!! Are you serious? We hiked to the caves last Monday too! So first it was Stewart's Falls, then the caves. Now I'm curious to see if you're going to end up doing what we're planning on doing today...

Really though, isn't Timp beautiful and amazing? I was talking to Nolan last night about emotional outlets and escapes. I have officially decided that the mountains are my vice. I run there to escape and to pound out my frustrations on the trail. In return I am blessed by the beauty and solitude that graces my presence. Ahhh.