Saturday, January 3, 2009

We're Baaaack

Status: Jet-lagged, but not as much as my husband who gave me the window seat on the long flight so I got about 5 times more sleep than him on the red-eye back home. Poor baby's crashed on the couch.
Song: "Mama's Room" by Under the Influence of Giants

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!

Yeah, I know I'm late, but I was out of town, after all. And I promise to blog about it extensively, or at least post some fabulous Hawaii pics, complete with the amusing Jaime narrative you all love and adore. There'll be sun, sand, surf, sharks (oh yeah), and this guy. And if you want to know who it is and why I have a picture of him, you'll have to read to the end of the post. And trust me, it's way cool. Like, OMG cool. *Neener Neener*


We'll start off with a side-by-side compare and contrast of here and there. (My English teachers would be so proud... of my mom, who came up with the fab-u-lous idea.)

HERE

THERE

HERE

THERE


HERE

THERE

HERE

THERE


I think you get the drift. So would you rather be a "here" or a "there??" Well, if you're like the hordes of people on Oahu the last week, then "there" was looking pretty good. Apparently this was the busiest week for the island for the entire year, hands down.

"Yeah, yeah, Jaime," you're saying. "Wrap up the rubbing it in already and get to the anonymous guy at the beginning of the post. And it better be good!"

Okay, fine. My public's wish is my demand, (and all that).

drum roll....



The suspense is building....



That guy in the first picture is.... oh wait, I gotta go get my laundry!


Just kidding...


That guy is none other than your friendly neighborhood Secret Service agent telling you to turn your non-President-elect behind around because that part of the beach was secure for Barack Obama. I'm dead serious. He was staying within a half mile of us.

We even got flashed the official SS badge and everything. Jason thought about making a break for it just so I could videotape him getting tackled, but we decided that going to jail wasn't a good way to start the vacation. So, yeah, Barack Obama is a good sport about things like wearing a shirt and being Photoshopped as a vulcan on an earlier post of mine. We're tight now.

Well, if you want to get technical, I never actually *saw* him, but I talked with the Secret Service, so that's *almost* like talking to him. Jason's brother actually did talk to him after surfing. (Dang it!) And no, they didn't talk about world peace or anything. It was mostly small talk, with probably some surfing stuff thrown in.

So, there's a little about my vacation. Stay tuned for more blogs.




7 comments:

Stephanie said...

wow!!! Secret Service, Obama, Hawaii what more could one want!!! : ) It looks like you had a great WARM vaca!!! I would much rather be there!!! Welcome home!

Jenny Wimmer said...

Sounds like a fun trip! I like you here and there photos. You guys were in a much better place! I look forward to seeing the rest of your trip!

Deborah said...

I didn't see the part about waiting until the end of your blog, so I clicked the enlarged pic and was trying to turn the guy into Alec Baldwin or one of the other Baldwin brothers. I mean there are so many of them. Did this guy know you were going to put his mug on your blog?

lyeso

Jaime Theler said...

We asked if we could take a picture of the Secret Service and they would only let us snap a pic of one, because the other one stays locally and so needed to maintain a much lower profile. So, yes, I think he knew he'd be out there somewhere, but we did ask first.

Tavia said...

That's a great story about the SS. I've gotten in trouble for trying to take their pictures before...
And it's great to hear that you enjoyed Hawaii! In all the places that I've traveled, I haven't been there yet.

Heather B. Moore said...

Surprised he let you take a picture :) So did your power go out?

Crystal Liechty said...

What!?! You talked to someone who talked to Obama. How can I ever look directly at you again? You are so superior!

And Hawaii looked SO beautiful. I'm trying very hard not to hate your guts right now because I know Jesus would just want me to be happy for you.