Sunday, February 8, 2009

Chocolate vs. Vanilla

Status: Chagrined I didn't get to blogging yesterday
What I'm listening to: My kids eating ice cream

Yesterday was a bit hectic around here, so I didn't quite make it to the blog. *throwing myself on the floor* I'm so sorry!

So today you'll get two things we love, for the price of one! (Although technically the one blog you'll read with the two things is free, so it's still the same price regardless... but it sounds good. So roll with me, all right?)

Things We (meaning *not* me) Love #7

Dark Chocolate.
This is Jason's absolute favorite. He has a little stash of dark chocolate that he'll nibble from every day.

And apparently it's, like, healthy or something. According to many sites I found online:

Chocolate is made from plants, which means it contains many of the health benefits of dark vegetables. These benefits are from flavonoids, which act as antioxidants. Antioxidants protect the body from aging caused by free radicals, which can cause damage that leads to heart disease. Dark chocolate contains a large number of antioxidants (nearly 8 times the number found in strawberries). Flavonoids also help relax blood pressure through the production of nitric oxide, and balance certain hormones in the body.

Whatever. We all know chocoholics invent this stuff. I personally can't stand it. And that leads us to...

Things We Love #8

Vanilla

Which kicks dark chocolate's creamy behind to the moon and back in terms of flavor and wonderfulness.

Here are some random vanilla facts (as found on Perfect Flavor Ice Cream site, where I found that pretty picture above. The ice cream sounds absolutely yummilicious!)

Vanilla is the world's second most expensive spice, and it's still the world's most popular flavor for ice cream. Different beans have different tastes:
* Madagascar: Mellow and creamy; often referred to as "bourbon" vanilla beans because they're grown on the Bourbon Islands
* Mexico: Mild and smooth
* Tahiti: More aromatic, musky and sweet
* Indonesia: Smokier and sharper


Vanilla also sweeps the category of delectable smelling stuff (I don't see many dark chocolate shower gels). But Warm Vanilla Sugar is loved and adored by both adults at our house.


So take that, chocolate! Vanilla will yet rule the world!!!

**If you can't tell, I don't like chocolate. But I'm really not this hostile toward the flavor. It's just for blogging entertainment purposes. So if you like dark chocolate, I'll still be your friend...

2 comments:

Deborah said...

You know that sweet aromatic vanilla aroma that everyone finds so wonderful... in that it's in a lot of homes I go into........

I personally can't stand it. It's cloying and claustrophobic. I get a headache after spending even a little time for piano lessons in such odor saturated places.

And the word even fits... ackinge

Carol said...

While I agree with you on the vanilla-scented bath items, chocolate still rules my taste buds!