Monday, March 23, 2009

All kinds of contagious around here

No, I'm not talking about the flu (and if you have it, please stay away from our house.) I'm talking about running. I've been at it for 2 years now, and in the last 8 months or so Jason finally caught the bug. Whether or not that's a good or a bad thing is up for debate.

So, let's have at it.

Good = Jason is in better shape than 8 months ago.

Bad = He might be in better shape than me, with half the amount of time working on it.

Good = He decided to upgrade his workout clothes from the mud-spattered, ripped sweats he wears to play flag football.

Bad = His workout wardrobe is now better than mine. And color-coordinated, which mine is not.

Good = Jason discovered a natural aptitude for running.

Bad = He kicks my butt on the short runs, running a minute less per mile.

Good = It is something we can do together.

Bad = Jason busted out a 10 mile run with me the first time I ran that distance. The longest he'd run before was 5 miles. And I was more sore than him.

Good = Co-workers noticed Jason's running prowess and asked him to join their team for the Wasatch Back Relay.

Bad = I've wanted to run it for a while now, and it looks like he'll do it first.

Good = Jason is healthier and more trim.

Bad = He's never so sore from doing lunges and squats he can barely go up and down the stairs because he has to try and work off those stubborn areas carrying more than we'd like from having children.

Good = He enjoys running more than he thought.

Bad = I'm sure he'll decide last minute to run my half-marathon race, and probably beat me.


I realize all the bad arguments are petty and stupid and have to do with my (un)healthy sense of competition. So I guess the conclusion is that Jason catching the running bug is a GOOD THING.

And congratulations to him on his first 5K race, which he ran in 21 minutes 3 seconds. What a stud!


On a complete side note, less than 2 weeks until the half-marathon. Yea!

2 comments:

Deborah said...

But don't you just hate it that he doesn't have to try so hard? I guess its that difference between male and female the world insists doesn't exist. But hey, you're a stud too... Err... studlet.

California Theler's said...

Good job, Jason! Running is the best! Love you both, and will see you soon...we are so excited!!