Thursday, April 2, 2009

I'm All About the Crockpot

What's better than throwing a bunch of ingredients in a pot, forgetting about it for several hours, and then having dinner all ready with minimum effort on your part?

Your husband doing it. And he found a good recipe the other day that I thought I'd share.

Black Bean Chicken Bowl
**Not a great title. If it were a book, the marketing department would have tossed it out on it's ear and picked a new one, like maybe Beans, Chicken, and a Tasty Hint of Chili: One woman's journey with her crock pot. I'll let you pick the recipe name.**

Ingredients:
4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 can chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
1 cup frozen corn
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt

Directions:
Add all ingredients to the crock pot. Cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours. Remove chicken and shred/chop and then return to crock pot. Serve.


Voila! Dinner is served!

We are going to alter the recipe just a little bit for our family's tastes. We will only add 2 chicken breasts (there was a veritable plethora of chicken with 4), 2 cans of broth, 2 cans of beans, and half a tsp/Tbsp more of the spices to make up for the extra beans & broth.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Molly said...

We make this all the time. Add a dollop of sour cream right before you eat it in your bowl with cilantro as a garnish to make it look pretty. (It tastes great too).

I think we may have to make this again tomorrow...you made me crave it :)

Lori-ann said...

Sounds great! I'll have to try it. I love the no-fuss meals. I need to have more of them.

Theler said...

Oohh Yummy! Thats the recipe you were telling us about on Sunday. I will have to try it!