Friday, May 22, 2009

Thinking of going raw?

Many of us know (or at least have heard about) the touted health benefits to eating organic food. I admit that organic usually tastes better, but I have to appease the inner Penny Nazi and if I'm going to pay twice as much for organic, I pass. So I guess I'm a semi-convert to the organic thing, but I'm getting more converted all the time.

Have you ever thought about going raw?
I'm not talking the WWF Raw kind of raw. (Although it's perfectly okay if you want to have a smack down. *backing away slowly*) But I'm talking about the Raw Food Diet.

The raw food diet is a diet based on unprocessed and uncooked plant foods, such as fresh fruit and vegetables, sprouts, seeds, nuts, grains, beans, nuts, dried fruit, and seaweed.

The idea is that cooking food destroys enzymes and nutrients. So a raw diet typically consists of at least 75% "living" or "raw" food. Raw isn't some acronym or fancy name given to something. Raw means exactly what you think it means: raw. As in crunchy carrots a la Bugs Bunny vs. crinkle cut soft ones.

Proponents of the raw food diet believe it has numerous health benefits, including:
  • Increased energy
  • Improved skin appearance
  • Better digestion
  • Weight loss
  • Reduced risk of heart disease
(I do write non-fiction books, so yes I researched this. You can find out information here and here and here. Note: these links are pro-raw diet. There are those that disagree.) I think eating more raw food is probably a good idea, just for health and energy. But at this time I'm not completely switching over to it.

So why am I blogging about it?

Because my sister is much braver than me and has decided to jump in with both feet. Not only for health and weight reasons, but because her youngest child is special needs and many believe that diet can help modify behavior of children with various disorders. It only stands to reason that diet has some affect. (Ever fed your kids cotton candy? Yeah, then tell me food doesn't affect kids.)

My sister's blog is a great resource if you think you might want to give it a shot. She has links to different sites and shares her experiences (here's why she decided to go raw) and--more importantly--her recipes. That way she can tell you if something works or doesn't, and how she did it. She's already figuring things out, why not let her guide you?

For example, here's a post on The World's Best Chocolate that's 100% good for you. And here's a recipe for a perfect smoothie for St. Patrick's Day. Hint: It's very green. (I was real hesitant to try this out, but I was talking with another friend who raved about how much she loves her kale shakes for energy, so I guess kale--it's a kind of lettuce, I think--is on the shopping list.)

I'm not switching to raw, but I'm willing to give some things a shot. How about you?

1 comment:

Lori-ann said...

It's making a HUGE difference in my son. We're not 100% raw and I don't think we ever will be, but I'm making our own crackers, cereals, and desserts. I'm making sure the kids don't have food dyes and eat more fruits and vegetables (all organic) and freshly squeezed juice. That's about it, but WHAT A DIFFERENCE! It's worth it. Totally worth it.