Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Tales and Tears of the Wasatch Back - 1st Leg

It's the post you've all been waiting for! (Now that I got photos from teammates) Over Father's Day weekend Jason and I ran a 188 mile relay race. It went up and over 4 mountain passes across the back of the Wasatch Mountains. Jason had been asked to be on a team from work sometime in January. A month before the race one of their team members had to drop out so they asked if I'd fill in.

Would I? I've been wanting to run the Wasatch Back since I first heard of it.

Our team was called the A-Team (for Alpine School District) and we even got dubbed new racing names.

I was "Juice."
And Jason was "Hammy" from the movie Over the Hedge.


Along with new names we also got rockin' matching T-shirts, and great window decorations.

Van One/Juan
(One of our team members is from England and when she says "one" it sounds like "Juan" - so it became a joke. Ok, I'll admit, on 1 hour of sleep *everything* became a joke.)

The "Eat Our Chalkdust" was a genius idea for the back window. (Wish I could claim it.)

We thought we were pretty styling until we met up with some of the other vans, like the Striping -- I mean, Stripping Warriors. (Note the teeny tiny little "p" smashed in there when they realized it was misspelled)

We started at 2:00 in the afternoon and had 650+ teams ahead of us. That's a lot of potential road kills (people you pass) to chalk up on our windows. *rubbing hands together*

Jason was Runner #1 and got us off to a great start.


How was the first leg of the race? "Very hot," Jason replied. We would all have liked a little more hot the next day when we finished in a monsoon.

The rest of the runners in our van ran through some truly gorgeous back country.


My first leg was early evening up and over the summit of Avon pass and down the other side on the oh-my-gosh-I'm-going-to-break-my-ankle-and-did-I-really-just-run-past-a-severed-deer-leg dirt road that was more like a rocky creek bed.

The end of the run. Finally!

This is what waited at the exchange.

Yes, that is a Lambourgini.
And see how close I was? That's my leg in the corner as I stretched. *giggle*

And next to the Lambourgini were...

2 yellow Corvettes. Suh-weet!!


Anyway, back to the race. I'm happy to report that on the first leg we started getting road kills, ran into some people we knew, and I didn't throw up after running. So... success!

I've realized this would be a really long post if I were to do the whole race so I'll tell you more about the rest of it in future posts.

3 comments:

Deborah said...

I think I would have run the race to see a Lamborghini. But then I'd have to find a bush where I could die in privacy.

Tavia said...

I love the commentary...and await the future posts. Way to go both of you!

Grandma Carolyn said...

It sounds like an amazing experience - maybe next year we can volunteer and actually be there to cheer you on part of the time.