Monday, October 12, 2009

Today's Word

discombobulate - [dis-kum-bob-yuh-leyt] - verb (used with object)

Definition:
to confuse or disconcert; upset; frustrate

Usage:
I am completely discombobulated by computer events the last couple of days. I went to bed Saturday night and everything was fine. On Sunday morning my oldest son told me there was a weird dialogue box when he turned on the computer and every personal setting, document, picture, music file, bookmark, etc. was gone. The computer looked like when we turned it on the first time out of the box. *panic* Luckily I have online backup (aside: Get it. Do it. It's so worth $5 a month) and so I started restoring everything - a process that would take 12 hours.

Then hours later the online backup program showed that it had paused the restore and gone through its routine daily backup, and listed the files that had been changed. What??? It shouldn't have had anything to change, because there were no more files left! But what was even more valuable was it listed the changed files and their location on the computer, which was some freaky TEMP file where whatever had happened had stashed *everything*. So I hadn't lost everything. In fact, I now had duplicates of whatever the restore had gotten to. So I went on a hunt and delete party. I only got through most of the documents, and none of the pictures or music.

Then this morning I turned on the computer and my desktop wallpaper of Saturday was back (which it wasn't on Sunday) as well as all my internet settings, and my documents and pictures in the right places and not duplicated. There are a few files missing that I've quickly restored from my backup, but I'm sure I wasn't hallucinating all day yesterday because my family all saw it.

And that's why there hasn't been a good post with pics over the weekend, because all my photos disappeared, then relocated to a strange file in the cobwebby corners of my hard drive, and then popped back into place.

I'm beginning to suspect that my computer is possessed. I think it's been fraternizing with my hot water heater. *staring suspiciously at other appliances*

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

i feel that way all the time!! what's the antonym?? That's gotta be my goal!!

Hannah said...

yuck! discombobulation by computer is the worst...I can totally relate.

A Musing Mom (Taylorclan6) said...

Do little voices inside your head tell you what to do and who you are on any given day?

I'm just exploring all possibilities for Sunday's "computer" problem.